Young Farmers Hold Agriprenuership Summit in Zimbabwe
By Staff Writer
The Zimbabwe Youth Agriprenuership summit (ZYAS) organized by the Zimbabwe Farmers Union, ZFU, to motivate young farmers and related value chains begins in Harare on Tuesday until Friday.
The event will be held at the Celebration Centre.
ZYAS seeks to develop positive attitudes, leadership skills and other relevant capacities among young people involved or intending to take up space in the agricultural industry, according to Adeva Gwenzi, the ZFU information officer.
The ZYAS 2017 edition will run under the theme: “INSPIRED TO LEAD AND TRANSFORM!”
“The Zimbabwe Farmers Union is of the view that the future of agriculture lies in the hands of the youths and therefore there is urgent need to unleash their potential and energy in that direction.
“During the course of 2017 the Union organized provincial “Agritalks” in which the youths aired their views and interacted with experts in the field of agriculture and related industries.”
Issues that emerged during the meetings included, among others, recurring leadership failure (both at the individual, farm, business and association levels), limited access to markets and poor adoption of advanced technologies, said Gwenzi.
In responding to these issues, ZYAS 2017 will bring together 300 young leaders from all the corners of Zimbabwe.
The summit will attempt to unpack some of the leadership topics without which it would be next to impossible for young people to lead and take full ownership of the courses that take them to their destinies.
The leadership challenge remains the difference between change and maintaining the status quo.
The nationwide engagements through “Agritalks” inspired ZYAS2017’s theme. “INSPIRED TO LEAD AND TRANSFORM!”
Zimbabwe Young Farmers Promotional video
Summit Main Objectives
- To challenge young people in agriculture and agribusiness to dare to lead
- To instill the necessary confidence to deal with challenges in the agricultural sector
- To explore beneficial networks that will deliver/yield otherwise hidden opportunities
- To develop a roadmap for sustainable development among young farmers
ZYAS 2017 will bring together a pool of highly energised young leaders ready to steer the farming industry towards a smart, sustainable and inclusive future, leveraging on mutually beneficial relationships with key value chain players.
Through a market fair, networking with experts and technological innovation, entrepreneurial potentials of young farmers will be enhanced.
1. Market linkages
2. Leadership Development
3. Show casing evidence based good farming practices
4. Modern technologies in farming
Prominent agribusiness leaders, researchers, academia, key industry players and, more importantly, young people will converge at the summit to explore and deliberate on the requisite leadership skills and networks to grow and sustain businesses in the field of agriculture.
The Summit will start with a Market Fair in which young farmers and service providers will exhibit their products to facilitate market linkages.
A one-day leadership coaching session, which will be aimed at developing leadership skills among the delegates, will follow.
Relevant technology will be demonstrated. Selected electronic young farmer profiles will be shared intermittently during the summit.
This will be complimented by live testimonials.
- Young Farmers in Zimbabwe to attend
- Must be aged 18-35 to qualify
- Be actively engaged in agriculture or have a passion for agriculture/agribusiness
- Have an interest to make a difference and be actively engaged in their communities by representing and advocating the interests of young farmers/agripreneurs
- Be prepared to draft an action plan to support other young people in agriculture in their communities
- Readiness to cover transport costs to and from the venue
Agriculture value chain players and experts are invited to participate and support the event.